Monday, March 10, 2014

From Dentist to...Fashion Designer?

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to start a blog about my journey with Exes and Ohs Intimates so I'd be able to go back and see the process and everything I accomplished, and so others could just have a little peek at this major life moment of mine. I also wanted to blog about it because I promised myself that I would glorify God in this process. I am exactly where I'm supposed to be because of God's will for my life. Sometimes it feels silly to say or think "God led me to design lingerie!" but that's exactly what He's done...and I couldn't be more thankful. But more on that later.

To me, to understand someone's present and future, you need a little history about their past. Growing up, Carson was an incredible artist. He was creative, intelligent, and could draw or paint anything you asked for. His talent was (and still is!) undeniable and unbelievable (I mean the guy started THE Pie Bar). From the time Cassidy was little, she was the most phenomenal dancer-it was undoubtedly what she was born to do. God blessed her with the ability to dance in a way that no one could take their eyes off of her. I think she's won every dance award ever at this point and now owns a thriving dance studio. Then there was me: I was the bookworm. School was always my thing--I loved it and it came easy to me. I knew from when I was little that I wanted to be in the medical field. Specifically, I wanted to be a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.  I never thought that I was artistic or creative. I felt like Carson and Cassidy got those genes and they skipped me--which was totally fine. I even waited until my senior year of high school to take an art class because I knew I'd be terrible, and that class definitely changed everything.

It was just a regular art class for a fine art credit and I dreaded it. The teacher was Carson and Cassidy's old teacher so I knew he expected greatness from me. I think I even told him not to get too excited--my siblings were gifted in art and I just wasn't. At the time, as a senior, I was accepted to Texas Tech and my degree was already set as Pre-Dental (I realized throughout my life that I have a horrific fear of bones--weird I know--so orthopedic surgery was out). Anyway, I started this art class and realized that God didn't skip me on the art genes. He blessed me beyond belief. My teacher complimented me and told me I should look into the art field. I felt compelled to browse degree plans at Tech and see what was available. When I saw Apparel Design and Manufacturing, I knew it was for me. I told my parents I was changing from Pre-Dental to Fashion Design. My parents, who are the two most supportive people EVER, were like "Yeah! Go for it!"...I know now God stepped in to my life and led me to do fashion design.

It was such a huge shift to go from academics to creativity. I knew it was a massive chance to go into fashion design but my faith was too strong to change my mind. I've always known that God has specific plans for everyone and that you meet people you're supposed to meet and that you have major experiences that you're supposed to have. His plan is beyond perfect and I trust in Him with every part of my being. He's led me this far without leaving me, so I know that if I go to Dallas Market in August and fall flat on my face, it's because He wants that for me. It's because He has something SO much better in store. My life is in His hands, and I couldn't be more thankful and more blessed that it is. So, I'll leave you with this:

 
I can't wait to find out what else I'm living for.
 
Exes and Ohs,
Kinsey

No comments:

Post a Comment