Monday, March 17, 2014

Being a McCabe=Becoming an Entrepreneur?

en·tre·pre·neur·ship-1.process of identifying and starting a business venture, sourcing and organizing the required resources and taking both the risks and rewards associated with the venture 2. having the last name McCabe and thinking owning your own business would be fun, exciting, and at times a little overwhelming

So, as most of you know, I'm not the only one in my family that is crazy enough to start their own business. My brother and my sister both own businesses in Lubbock. Cassidy opened her dance studio, Dance Warehouse Studios, Inc, about 5 years ago. Like I said in my previous post, Cassidy was absolutely born to be a dancer, and I know she feels so blessed to share her talents and to teach others her passion every single day. Her studio is definitely out of the box (neon colors, anyone?) and so are her teaching styles, which are the reasons for her incredible success. Carson started a restaurant 3 years ago called The Choc'late Mousse Pie Bar, and it pretty much became an overnight sensation. Yeah, he's the guy that put pie in a glass and freaked some folks out while doing so (What?! No slice of PIE?! I can't take it!!). Both Carson and Cassidy just won Best of the West for Lubbock (Best Dance Studio and Best Dessert, of course), and I seriously couldn't be more proud of them. I've seen the work they've put in, and they both inspire me to work just as hard to get what I want and to achieve my dream.

People are absolutely so sweet and complimentary about the three of us being entrepreneurs, but what some people don't understand is that this is all we know. My dad is brilliant. He designs and invents industrial laundry equipment, so we were raised by a man who literally stopped at nothing to build his business and to be a success story. We've had the perfect role model to teach us work ethic and determination, and we've only grown up around someone who LOVES their job (some may say...obsessed with it?) He went through major ups and downs and has taught me to NEVER give up. Ever.

I posted this conversation between us on my status a month or so ago:
Me-"I'll be happy if I just make a profit on my line, even if it's $100."
My dad-"No. You will be happy if you break even. And if you fail, you'll be happy you did. Then you're going to get your ass up and try it all over again."

And don't even get me started on my mom. The four of us would be nowhere if it wasn't for my mom. She is the brains behind each operation. She's an inventor, chef, dance teacher, and fashion designer all rolled up in to one brilliant and creative mind. She's designed logos, painted walls, looked at fabric, picked music, helped with recipes, and done some interior design. I mean, this woman can seriously do it all. And never, ever complains about it.

Is it easy to start a business? No. Is it easy to own and maintain a business? Absolutely not. Is it worth it? Definitely. We all get to wake up and look forward to our day. I literally get excited to go to sleep because I know that means I get to wake up the next morning and work on my line. We all work weekends because we WANT to. I think "blessed" might be the most overused word ever sometimes, but I can't think of another word about how I feel. I'm not lucky. I didn't just get this life by "luck." God blessed me with this life, this family, and this opportunity. I am "blessed" to have a supportive husband who tells me I can do anything, too. I thank God every single night that I've at least gotten to take this chance. I may go to market and fail, but it's been so much fun to even try. I know Carson, Cassidy, and my dad will say they're pretty "blessed" too to be able to own their business. I always refer back to this Steve Jobs quote:

So "blessed" to love what I do.
 
Exes and Ohs,
Kinsey

No comments:

Post a Comment