Monday, August 18, 2014

Body Image Rant of the Day--Skinny Shaming

Happy Monday Everyone!!

I hope everything is going good in everyone's world! My world is looking pretty darn good right now. After a bump in the road with manufacturing and pricing, I finally found a company to produce my designs, and the best part is that they're in Dallas! So everything Exes and Ohs has been made or will be made in Texas, and I'm so proud of that! Everyone has been asking for a date that I'm going to launch the website and everything, and I wish I could give a better answer. I'm sending materials to the manufacturer this week to get everything started--I'm hoping to have a more definite date for y'all soon. I just don't want everyone to get on my website, spend a million dollars, then have to wait too long for me to ship your items. Just lookin' out for my customers! :)

Once again, this post isn't about Exes and Ohs, but it's about body image (shocker!). If you've been following my posts, you know that God has placed the issue of body image on my heart. I realized lately that I haven't been as equal in my posts as I could be. So I feel the need to explain myself.

Let's get one thing straight: I think body shaming of every type is not okay...and that means body shaming naturally thin people. It's strange to me because people comment on Rachel Zoe and Giuliana Rancic's Instagrams and say "EAT A BURGER! Stop starving yourself! You look terrible!" Why does no one realize that's just as bad as telling a thicker person that they shouldn't eat anything? Skinny shaming is just as bad as fat shaming.

I hope no one thought I was skinny shaming in any of my previous posts--that would never, ever be my intention. My point with my Victoria's Secret comparisons is that it's not a realistic representation for young girls and women. They idolize models like that who were blessed with a gorgeous face, perfect stomach, and big boobs (and photoshop)...women that were born to be thin, no matter what. What I mean is that the vast majority of women are not born naturally thin--BUT IT'S OKAY IF YOU WERE. There have been days where I wish I was born naturally thin, as have most women! What I would give to eat a big ol' slice of cake and ice cream and not see it on the scale later...:) But please, please know that I think thin bodies are beautiful. I think thick bodies are beautiful. I think every body is beautiful because it's ours...because of what it's capable of...because it's what God blessed us with.

I design for women. Every woman. (Before I hear about this, which I know I will, I do not have plus sizes yet (which I seriously hate the term "plus size." Every size is a size.) It is not for any other reason than the fact that I could not financially do it for my first line. I am charged extra for every size I have for every design I have--that is why my sizes are currently small, medium, and large. I plan on expanding to "plus size" in the future). But one of my BIGGEST pet peeves with this industry is when anything bigger than a size 2 is designed for "Real Women!." What? Size 0's and 2's aren't real women? I was a size 2 for my wedding, so according to some brands I wasn't a real woman? Huh?! My biggest question is why is it in the fashion industry, half of the brands say that you need to be a size 0/2 or else you aren't beautiful, and the other half says that if you're less than a 6/8, you're not a real woman? Why can't we embrace every size? Why can't we say "Hey guess what--YOU'RE GORGEOUS. No matter what size. No matter what age. No matter what." Why is that so hard?

I pray every single day that women can learn to love their bodies, no matter what their body looks like. I want you to love your post baby body! You created a human with it...that's pretty insane. Don't cover up your stretch marks and loose skin. Wear it proudly. If you feel like you have weight to lose, please continue to be positive about yourself and the way you look in the meantime. If you are naturally thin, embrace it. Look at yourself and love your body...it's the one God gave you. And most of all, everyone needs to realize that your outward appearance is truly nothing. God loves you for you--for your heart, your mind, and nothing else.

 
Let's keep on being positive. It's the best thing you can do for yourself! I promise. Positivity is like eating a big cupcake that has all the taste and no calories.
 
Love and prayers to you all--always, always, always!!
Exes and Ohs,
Kinsey

No comments:

Post a Comment